THE MVHR FLEET
No 45: A Class C17 locomotive, it was built by Evans Anderson Phelan in Brisbane in 1923. These locos were delivered from the factory at Kangaroo Point, travelling down Main Street to the railway yards at Wooloongabba using portable sections of track. The short sections of track were moved as the locomotives, in pairs, progressed down the street. After being withdrawn from service, this loco stood in Tozer Park in Gympie. In 1982 the Gympie Apex Club arranged for it to be moved to the Gympie Historical Society Museum where it was restored to steam in 1992 by members of the museum. On the formation of the Mary Valley Heritage Railway in 1996, No 45 was placed on loan to the MVHR and transferred to their workshop where restoration to full running order was completed. Thus No 45 became the original Valley Rattler, hauling the first train on 23rd May 1998. After 5 years of sterling service No 45 is now undergoing major maintenance in our workshop. Her last run was double-heading with No 802 for our 5th birthday celebrations.
Officially named ROMA, this loco is also a Class C17 and was previously located as a static display in a park in Roma. It was acquired in 2000 and brought to the workshop for restoration. Upon completion she entered service with MVHR in 2003. The locomotive was built in the UK by the firm of Armstrong Whitworth and was delivered in 1927 to the Pinkenba Wharf in Brisbane.
C 17 967 was built in 1950 by Walkers Limited in Maryborough. 967 commenced operation with Queensland Railways in the same year and was withdrawn from traffic in 1969. It was preserved at a park in Caloundra and moved to the Ghan Society in 1985. 967 was purchased by Beaudesert Rail in 2000 and returned to service in 2003. It was bought outright by the MVHR in 2007.
No 253: In March 2003 MVHR took delivery of this locomotive for restoration. Another Class C17 locomotive, this one came from Mundubbera. Although missing a number of parts, the loco was found to be in very good condition. The reason being 253 underwent a major overhaul in 1967, 12 months before being paid off in 1968 prior to the changeover to diesel traction. During its service life it travelled some 1.58 million kilometres. This loco was built at Evans Anderson Phelan in 1921 and is different from most of the class in that it is fitted with two sand domes instead of the usual one. This was to allow it to operate on the Yandaran line, which did not have a turntable; the extra dome was to provide sanding capabilities when running tender-first on the return trip. When it enters service it will be named MUNDUBBERA.
No 1632: This is a 1620 class diesel electric locomotive built by The English Electric Company at Rocklea in Brisbane. The class was introduced into Queensland Rail in 1967. It was purchased by MVHR in 1996 and restored in the workshop. It is used for yard shunting, track work, and as a back-up loco in case of failure of the steam loco.
DH 45 is a diesel hydraulic locomotive that was built at Walkers in Maryborough Qld between 1969 and 1970. It was used for shunting and light duties. In 1994 DH 45 was transferred to Cairns to be used by QRX. It was then moved to Central Queensland for shunting duties and de-commissioned in 2009. In late 2010 DH 45 (or MMY 45 as it was known) was transferred to the MVHR as a restoration project. Over 12 months DH 45 was slowly returned to working order and entered service on the MVHR on 26 Nov 2011. It has been utilised on Theme trains and work trains.
Nos 2017 & 2023: These units are 2000 Class railmotors built in the 1960’s by Common-wealth Engineering at their Rocklea plant in Brisbane. They were decommissioned by QR in 1993 and purchased by MVHR in 1996. Both units were recommissioned in our workshop and entered service in 1998.
No Rm 76: The purpose of the railmotor (railcar) was to provide a passenger service, on branch and main lines where passenger numbers did not justify the expense of running a steam train service. To run a steam train be it on a, goods, mixed or passenger train, required a crew of three, the driver, fireman and guard. However, many railway lines in Queensland ran through country areas where the small passenger numbers would not provide a financial return for operating a steam service.
The RM 76 traditionally ran the Brooloo line to Gympie providing a daily link to the town for shopping, the transportation of goods and a means for children to get to school. MVHR has RM76 on lease from the Bellarine Railway in Victoria.
CAR A No 1418: Built in 1947 at the Ipswich Workshops for the Brisbane suburban service, these cars were known as Evans Cars after the then Commissioner Evans. They were designed for maximum seating capacity and quick exit to minimise stop time at stations in the peak hour service. This car ended service with QR in1987 and was later sold to the Zig Zag Railway in Lithgow (NSW). MVHR purchased it from Zig Zag in 1997.
CAR B No 1125: Built in 1926 at the Ipswich Workshops this is the only surviving unit of the six that were built. Originally built with a division in the middle these cars were 1st class at one end and 2nd class at the other. The difference was that 1st class seating was 2+2 across while 2nd class was 2+3. 1st class also had ceiling fans. The toilet for 2nd class was located in what is now the entry foyer. As originally built these cars did not have inter-car access; this modification was completed during restoration. This car was withdrawn from QR service in 1987 and entered service with MVHR in 2000.
CAR C No 1038: Built in 1923 at the Ipswich Workshops as a 1st class car (known as AL), it was converted to 2nd class (BL) in 1984. Its main claim to fame is for its service in the Sydney Mail that ran between Roma Street and Wallangarra where passengers changed to NSW gauge for the rest of the journey to Sydney. This was before the construction of the standard gauge link to the border. The car ended mainline service in April 1987.
CAR D No 992: Built in 1921 at the Ipswich Workshops as a travelling Post Office (TPO) car, it was converted to a special car in 1934 and subsequently converted to a 2nd Class (BL) car in 1942. To meet the demand of increasing passenger numbers, the servery was added in 2001.
CAR E No 507: Built in 1909 at the Ipswich Workshops, these cars were of lightweight construction for use on the Etheridge Railway. Originally called “Goondiwindi Cars”, they had longitudinal seating and centre toilets. In 1936 the cars were converted to Grandstand seating (lengthwise, one row raised behind the other) for the Kuranda Railway. They were later converted to the present style with conventional seating and end toilets. This car has been officially “on loan” to MVHR, but it is understood to have been written off QR’s books in 2002.
CAR F No 1303: Built at the Ipswich Workshops in 1939, this is another Evans Car with a similar history to Car A. This car finished service with QR in1987. Whilst this type of car is not ideal for MVHR operations (because there is no intercar access) they do provide Guard’s van facilities with maximum passenger accommodation.
CAR G No 1547: Built in 1953 at the Ipswich Workshops these cars were designed for use on branch lines as a Guard’s van with passenger accommodation. This car ended service 1n 1989. Because of its limited passenger accommodation (20) it is only added to the train on days of extra heavy bookings.
CAR H No 1416: This car has a similar history to Car A and Car F. It is an Evans type car and ended service with QR in 1987. It was purchased by Beaudesert Rail and heavily modified. The seating arrangement was changed to a centre aisle configuration and exits were provided at the each end of the carriage. This car was purchased by the MVHR in 2005, after Beaudesert Rail ceased operations.
CLUB CAR No 1130: This car was originally built as a Pullman type sleeper with curtained berths down each side and a central aisle. When delivered to the workshop all that could be salvaged was the underframe and bogies. These were repaired and refurbished and then fitted with a complete new superstructure, designed and built in our workshop.
CARRIAGE 1071: BU 1071 a second class suburban carriage, was built at Ipswich railway workshops, and entered service on the 30 October 1924. It was built at a cost of 2601 pounds. It was able to seat 90 second class passengers, on cross bench seats, in nine open compartments, with side door loading. It was constructed of hardwood, yellow wood, pine, and oak. BU 1071 was withdrawn from traffic in June 1984, but then reinstated into traffic by QR, in March 1985. It remained on QR's books until 1992. It was then sold to the Zig Zag at Lithgow. In the late 1990's it was purchased by Beaudesert Rail and returned to service. After Beaudesert Rail went into liquidation in 2003, the Mary Valley Heritage Railway purchased the carriage. After extensive repairs 1071 commenced operations with the MVHR in 2007.
|Rattler Rail Vehicle List as at April 2013|
|DAS||Wood Club Car||1130||MVHR|
|2000||Rail Moter (1960)||2017||MVHR|
|2000||Rail Moter (1960)||2023||MVHR|
|Self Propelled Fire Fighting Vehicle||MVHR "Gertie"|
|1620||QR 60 Tonne Diesel Electric||1639||MVHR|
|QLX||Steel Bogie Box||35356||MVHR|
|QLX||Steel Bogie Box (Grey)||MVHR not numbered|
|DAS||Base Frame Only||1132||MVHR|
|FGW||4 wheel water gin||9971||MVHR|
|TES||Rail plough vehicle||36335||MVHR|
|Section Car no 2||MVHR|
|Inspection section car||MVHR|
|Mazda 4600 Hi rail dual cab truck||MVHR|
|7 section cars - parts only||MVHR|
|6 flat tops||MVHR|
|BLH||Lavatory Passenger||521||Leased from QR|
|BLH||Lavatory Passenger||760||Leased from QR|
|BA||Passenger||527||Leased from QR|
|BBV||Passenger Van||1547||Leased from M.E.L.S.A|
|CL||Wood Passenger||1125||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|BL||Wood Passenger||992||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|DAS||Wood Passenger||1038||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|BLV||Passenger Van||766||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|C17||Steam Engine||45||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|S-Wagon||10839||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|VTO||Coal Wagon||29999||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|OB||Tanker||43820||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|BBV||Base Frame Only||1586||Leased from Gympie & District Historical Society|
|RM||Rail Motor and van||76||Leased from Belleraine Peninsula Railways|
|BU||Wood Passenger||1071||Leased from Private Owner|
|BU||Wood Passenger||1416||Leased from Private Owner|
|1620||QR 60 Tonne Diesel Electric||1632||Leased from Private Owner|
|DH||40 Ton Shunt Diesel||45||Leased from Private Owner|
|1620||QR 60 Tonne Diesel Electric||1649||Leased from Private Owner|
|BL||Wood Passenger||276||Leased from Private Owner|
|BL||Wood passenger||268||sold for removal|